Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gym vs. outdoors

I have this debate often: Which is a better place to run, the gym or outside? A treadmill or the sidewalk?

Traditionally, because my asthma is so severe, I have always chosen to run on a treadmill. Plus, that way I don't have to worry about scores of strangers watching me as I huff and puff my way down the street. Here's some things to think about the next time you can't decide between indoors and outdoors for your next run:

Indoors
1. My knees. See previous post for gross photo of what happened to my knee on an outdoor run. Ouch. My tendency to trip over my own feet is greatly lessened when I'm on a treadmill.

2. It's so damn ____ out! Too hot, too cold, raining, snowing, high pollen count - there are just too many weather-related excuses to not run outside. A thermostat and a roof over your head ensure that running conditions are always ideal.

3. Gym mentality. There's something motivational about running alongside 20 other people trying to get/stay in shape or train. Sometimes it even gets competitive: I've found myself running a minute or five longer than I thought my legs could handle simply because the chick next to me is still going and I MUST outrun her.

4. The amenities. Whether at the gym or at home, the bathroom, a water refill, a refueling snack - whatever - they're all within arm's reach instead of, y'know, five miles' reach. No running belt necessary.

5. You can watch TV while you run. Needs no further explanation.


Outdoors

1. It's freakin' beautiful outside. This is only a sometimes-benefit of running outdoors, but going for a jog around the neighborhood is a great way to enjoy good weather.

2. You can see the world! Or, at least as far as you can run. Meet your neighbors, have a Snow-White-in-the-woods moment with the birds and squirrels and notice your surroundings in a way you never can when you're just driving by...on your way to the gym.

3. The breeze. Yes, the breeze. It deserves its own bullet point if only because when you're sweating out of every pore, the wind feels so. damn. good. Air conditioning has nothing on a good breeze.

4. Showing off. Have you ever been on your way to work or somewhere else equally undesirable, seen someone running and thought to yourself, "Man, I wish I wasn't doing whatever it is I'm obligated to do today"? When you run outside, you get to be that person everyone else is jealous of. Plus, you make that guy eating McDonald's in his car feel like a fat slob. It's a small but enjoyable victory.

5. The other day, I was trying to explain to my friend Chris (a self-admitted gym junkie) why running outside feels soooooo good. "You know that euphoric spurt of self-esteem you get when you finish a workout?" I asked him. "Multiply that by 10 and that's what finishing an outdoor run feels like." He didn't believe me, his excuses being that it seems hard and he "looks stupid" when he runs.

Uh, who cares?!

The bottom line is this: A treadmill's got nothing on the open road (or sidewalk). Rain, head and "looking stupid" be damned. You'll never know how good it feels - or how much fun it is - until you try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment